Our Current Location

Click for Tucson, Arizona Forecast

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Taking Up Running....

....Ok, stop the laughter and I'll continue :)

I've been riding the path along the Willamette River just about every day. I ride in the morning, before the sun gets too high in the sky. I usually get around 24 to 36 miles on a ride. After a shower and some breakfast and I'm ready to take on the day!

I feel more energetic throughout the day after exercising in the morning. I also find that I eat a little more for breakfast after working out, which results in less snacking during the day.

The bike rides have been getting (gasp!) a little boring, so I've been looking for something to "spice it up". Of course, there are a ton of people running on the path, so I thought I would give it a try. Understand, I've never run, anywhere, for anything, at anytime!

I headed out one morning with my "trail shoes", ipod and waterbottle for a little run. I just assumed, I'm in shape I bike, you just run, no big deal. WRONG! About 36 seconds into my running, I had this amazing pain in my shins! I could walk it off but it came back the second I did anything more then a fast walk.

I got in touch with my friends Karen and Rich in Salt Lake City. They both have run marathons and Rich is fresh off an Ironman in Cordelane, Idaho. Their advice, go talk to the pros at a shop and get some real running shoes. I took their advice and went to the local Nike store(I'm partial to Nike!) and explained my situation to the local running expert. I got hooked up with some shoes that have maximum support and cushion. Here they are:
They sure are pretty, all blue and silver, but I hope to dirty them up soon enough! I also dug into the internet for some information for beginner runners. It turns out, I had my expectations set just a little too high! I found some great programs on-line 10 -12 weeks, that take you in steps up to being an actual runner. For the first couple of weeks, you run twice a week and alternate a 1 minute run with a 1 minute walk 5 to 8 times.

I tried out my shiny new shoes today. I started with a 5 minute walk then alternated 1 minute runs and walks for 10 minutes then ended with 5 minute walk. Guess what, no shin pain! There was still pressure in the area, but not the pain I experienced before. I'll chalk that up to those muscles not being developed for running, yet.

I even got Laura to go out with me for the "run". She also has never run, ever! We'll have to see how it goes, it was a nice alternative to the daily bike ride!

-Rich-

1 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rich,

So, now that you've added running to your activities, are you going to graduate to swimming too, and start doing Iron Man events??

Way to go. I'm impressed.

I hope your sitting down, because I've thought about starting to run some too. Yeah, you read that right.

My one problem to overcome is that I hate doing it by myself. I think I need someone to run with to "egg me on". I guess it's too easy to quit when I'm out on my own.

But I think when we get to our park in California for September, I'll give it a try. What are the sights you found that you used to get started?

Garry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home