Our Current Location

Click for Tucson, Arizona Forecast

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Tried to find a mountain bike trail


I slept in again today until about 9am. Once Snuggles and I had breakfast (a waffle for me a biscut & eggs for her), I loaded my mountain bike and equipment into the car and headed out. My directions said take I-5 south to SR-58, and go southeast for 27 miles. Yesterday I'd taken the same route to go hiking, but had only traveled 20 miles on 58, so I figured this would be easy to find. The directions said turn left into the Waldo Lake campground & the trail goes around the lake. Ok..easy enough. First problem came when I'd gone about 27 miles, there was a campground, but it was named "Black Canyon". Second problem is that there was no lake, but a river. Something was definately wrong. I traveled 10 more miles, but never found it. When I got back, I looked at a map and found out I'd been given wrong directions in a major way. Turns out the Waldo Lake campground was 70 miles from Eugene!

So I headed back to the trail that I'd hiked yesterday. I was pretty sure that mountain bikes were allowed. But instead of turning right onto the Goodman Creek trail that I'd taken yesterday, I went straight this time onto the Hardesty(?) trail. It went up...and up and up and up. Just when I thought it would flatten out, it went up some more. I alternated between pedaling and walking. After about a mile, I was mostly walking...and it was hot...and humid. A little while later, I couldn't go anymore, so I rode down. Of course it was fun and over way too soon. So after a quick lunch, I headed back to hang out with Snuggles and get a shower. In the picture below you can see the trail going up....and up and up.


Rich comes home tomorrow.....hooray!!!!!!!!!!

-Laura

2 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on vacation in the mountains of N.C. trying to stay cool. The free wi-fi didn't work at KOA east Ashville either. I missed reading when you got the Monaco. Hope you get it straightened out. I would be more upset than you seem to be. Did you post about it? What date? Really enjoy reading all your adventures. Thanks

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Hi Barbara!

We've been nice & cool in Eugene, but this weekend is forcast to be 100! We got the '04 Safari this winter. It's scheduled to be in the factory for 3 weeks. We were/are upset but dealing with it. Thanks for reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home