Our Current Location

Click for Tucson, Arizona Forecast

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Going downhill in Colorado Springs!





Yesterday Rich & I traveled to Colorado Springs (81 miles) to do a 20 mile downhill mountain bike tour. The company, Bike Pikes Peak, runs 2 different tours. The one I originally considered starts with a breakfast buffet, then a drive up to the top of Pikes Peak at 14,110 ft. The only problem with that is that when I was about 11, my family took the tram up to the top of PP and I got physically sick. Not wanting to repeat that event, we chose the 20 mile downhill ride that starts at a much lower 9500’. The ride mainly consisted of fireroads and was gradual, but I still managed to maintain anywhere from 17mph. to a blistering 35mph. on pavement closer to town. So, we arrived at the bike tour shop at 9am, loaded up the van with the group (1 couple from Grand Rapids, Michigan, and 1 couple from Albuqueque), and headed out of town. We barely got out of town and started climbing when we were halted! The road was closed because a power line and pole had come down and was covering the road. So Dylan, being the innovative guy that he is, took us up to a point on our way down where we would be 8 miles up.

By the time we got down, Dylan announced that the road is open and he had another group of 5 arriving at 12:30. The couple from Albuquerque had afternoon plans & couldn’t stay, but they did join us for lunch up the street. We had a great bar-food lunch at the Meadow Muffin in downtown Colorado Springs. After lunch, we again loaded up and drove up, this time all the way up to 9500’. Since I had been warm enough during first downhill run, I only wore my short-sleeved bike jersey and shorts. It was quite chilly at the top! I figure It was probably 55-60 degrees, which became even colder at 20mph. It took us about 1.5 hrs. to get down, stopping to wait for the couple from Grand Rapids (Cassie & Rich), and to take photos.

On the way home, we stopped at a wine shop and got a tip to try “the best wine store in the country” Applejacks. So of course we had to go there, but first I needed food since it was going on 6pm. After a great Italian meal, we went to Applejacks and found all kinds of great wines, none of which were over $12. By the time we got home, I was bushed. Who would have thought that by barely pedaling for almost 28 miles, I’d be so tired? But I was and by 9:30 I was in bed for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home