Our Current Location

Click for Tucson, Arizona Forecast

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Wrapping up Yellowstone!

The Swimming Hole



On the drive through Firehole Canyon, earlier in the week, we came across this swimming hole. We waited for the weather to be warm enough to enjoy a swim and a "shoot" through this little canyon. Good thing the weather was warm, because the water was cold....About 65 degrees!





Laura got this pic of me, about to go over the "falls". Well, not really because where I am, it is about 4 foot deep and there is a rock ledge that prevents people from going over the edge.....But it does look dramatic, doesn't it?






Drowning flies.........some might call it "Fly Fishing"

Fly fishing is something I have always had a desire to learn. I've seen it done, many times. To me, it always looks art in motion when it's done correctly! Since we were here, in Yellowstone, what many believe to be the greatest trouting rivers in the country, I had to give it a try.

I got permission from Laura to do a guided trip and lesson. (We have never gone over our monthly "attractions and Entertainment" budget, to this point) This one would break the budget and deserved some discussion and approval. I went to a few different shops to get the low down on prices. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the $275 for a 3 hour trip and lesson. But there were options!


The guys at Bob Jacklin's Fly Shop were awesome and they had the perfect solution for me! Bob holds a fly fishing "clinic" free every Sunday night. They even have a little casting pond across the street from the shop. The guys spent some time showing me gear and the flys the locals use on the river. For $75 I got a decent beginners rod and reel. For another $10 bucks I picked up some fly's, leaders and tippets(boy, I sound like I know what I'm talking about!) It was $10 for a 3 day fishing license. So for $100 I got the gear and a great free lesson.....It's time to soak some flys!

Here I am trying to make sense of it all.


I got it! The lessons helped and for the next couple of hours I drowned flys, watched the elk and bison and just enjoyed the park and the surroundings. It was really a great way to waste a few hours and there really is an "art form" to the whole process; I have a ways to go before my cast look anything like art..... but at least I have my own gear now to continue practicing.


Next time I'll have to try to put the "fishing" into fly fishing :)

-Rich-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home